Hastings Art Gallery Manager
Tihei mauri ora!
Nau mai, haere mai, tahuti mai ki Heretaunga!
Heretaunga haukunui, Heretaunga ararau, Heretaunga haaro te kaahu, Heretaunga takoto noa!
Welcome to Heretaunga, the area renowned for its rich and fertile landscape that is sustained by its life-giving dews and waterways. Welcome to Heretaunga, whose beauty is observed by the sharp eye of the harrier hawk; a landscape rich in history and with an esteemed legacy of caring and providing for its inhabitants.
Taitara Mahi - Kaiwhakahaere Te Whare Toi o Heretaunga /Hastings City Art Gallery Manager
- Full time experienced Contemporary Art Management role
- Help us deliver outstanding services to our community
- Join a collaborative, highly successful team
We are looking for an experienced arts manager who has worked in the contemporary arts industry, has demonstrated curatorial experience, an understanding of marketing and promotion, and has well-established and extensive industry networks. The right candidate will have be a strong art writer, adaptable to generating accessible texts to a range of audiences, skills in financial management, reporting, and maintaining and developing organisational relationships with the arts and broader community, key stakeholders including funders and iwi partners, and artists and art world professionals.
This role is part of the Community Facilities & Programmes Group. The Group includes Libraries, Community Centres, Sports Centre, Aquatics Hastings, Hastings District Cemeteries & Crematorium, Social & Youth Development, Toitoi Hawkes Bay Arts & Events Centre, Te Whare Toi o Heretaunga/Hastings City Art Gallery and Senior Housing.
The purpose of this role will be to oversee operations and delivery of programmes for the Te Whare Toi/Hastings City Gallery and to assist in the strategic outcomes of the gallery and the wider organisation. Key to the role are excellent time management skills with the ability to juggle multiple deadlines and prioritise workloads across multiple projects. This role will be responsible for the day-to-day running of the gallery including but not restricted to developing and delivering the exhibition programme including curation, programme development, revenue generation, and the management of staff.
Ou wheako –about you,
To be successful in this role you will have:
- University Degree (Bachelor level) appropriate to the fields of art, gallery, museum and curatorial practice or 5 years’ experience as a gallery curator and manager or director.
- Evidence of ability to work strategically and with vision
- Evidence of a curatorial practice
- Knowledge or the willingness to learn in matauranga Maori and kaupapa Maori methodologies
- Established exhibitions and publications record
- Experience in management/leadership role
- Recognised as a source of art knowledge and advice
- Experience in envisioning designing and building programmes
- High degree of cultural connection with significant established networks
Situated in the heart of Ngati Kahungunu, the Hastings district and Hawke’s Bay offer an enjoyable environment in which to live, work and play. Further details remuneration package and a great team is waiting for you to join us in leading the way to becoming the most vibrant and significant arts, culture and events facility in New Zealand.
We are an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. Are you keen to be a part of Te Whare Toi o Heretaunga’s journey?